Sunday 11 August 2013

My tattoo ministers Christ to me – Bimbo Thomas


Bimbo Thomas is an embodiment of the popular saying, ‘if you’ve got it, flaunt it’. The actress cum fashionista does not fail to show off her smooth skin, curvaceous figure and clèavage. She tells Adaeze Amos in this interview that she does not want to hurriedly rush into marriage, hence her apparent delay in saying ‘I do’.

Many people know you as Bimbo Thomas, an actress, but in your own words, who exactly are you?

Bimbo Thomas is one simple person that is focused and dedicated. She knows what she wants in life. She is aware of what she is aiming at and she is highly determined, willing and never failing to try, daring too if I may say. Bimbo Thomas is also a bundle of talent, apart from acting. She is very versatile, nothing she can’t put her hands to do if she puts her head to it. “Nothing at all, bring it on, I’m never afraid to try. I mount the stage and do something like a musician, then the next minute I hold on to be a doctor. It’s just like what I do but that is a make believe. Bimbo Thomas can do any other thing but my passion lies in acting.”

Can you relive your early days?

Growing up was smooth, very encouraging because my folks were very accommodating and friendly. We related as friends because my mum was close to me and there was nothing I didn’t share with her. I grew up in a Christian home on the Island, Tinubu Square precisely. The fact that where I grew up was a bit rowdy, a lot of activities would be going on, but at the same time we were on our own. It’s like a white pot in the midst of black ones. My family was very supportive during my childhood. There was nothing I told them I wanted to do that I was never encouraged.

As a youth, did it ever occur to you that you would one day become a known actress? And who was your role model then?

No, I never thought I would be an actress, not even for once. But I knew that I had passion for acting. I never thought of opting for acting as a career. In secondary school, I used to participate in school dramas. I was always being given one role or the other to interpret because of my looks and the way I talked. I was never afraid to express myself. But I honestly never knew that someday, somehow I would be a big actress that everybody would be looking forward to watching her movies. Then for who my role model was then, I could remember gluing to the TV at home watching such soap operas as ‘Behind the Cloud’, ‘Mirror in the Sun’, ‘Cock Crow at Dawn’, ‘The Palace’, to mention but a few. I had such role models as Joke Silva, Ego Boyo, Uncle Bob Manuel. These folks were fantastic. Then, I hadn’t pictured what it was to be an actress, maybe because I was shy but I really admired them.

Do you mean you were shy then?

Yes, I used to be shy and even till date I’m a very shy person. It’s hard for people to believe this but it is true. When it comes to work, I don’t know, somehow the shyness would just disappear and I would do it. But in real self, I’m a very shy person.

Can you define your style and why you chose the design of tattoo on your arm?

My style is me. I owe myself the look. I admire a few fashionistas, and good looks as a whole gell for me. Whenever I see anything good, I love it. So, my style is me. I define what I want to look like on a daily basis. I do tell a story with my looks. I could look chic or trendy and sèxy. The design of the tattoo on my arm is crucifix, which symbolises Christ, His passion. If you look closely, there is heart design there, it stands for love. It shows that Christ loves us and for Him to have died for us, he had taken away all our sins and burdens. He has told us to love as he has loved us. I chose this design of tattoo because of the love of Christ. I think by wearing it, even when someone hurts me and I want to retaliate angrily, somehow something would tell me that you are wearing a crucifix on your arm. If Christ could do this for me, why can’t I let go and love my fellow human being regardless. By so doing, I let the anger go. My tattoo ministers Christ to me.

For how long have you been wearing it?

I have been wearing it for six years and I’m not tired of it. As I told you, this can take me all through life. That was why I didn’t choose any other design such as teddy, butterfly, Chinese language just name it. It took time to do it. You can remember it’s been a long time tattoos came in vogue and I did mine six years ago. It shows that for me to have taken that much time to do this, I would not get tired of it.

Why do you like to flaunt your clèavage?

Maybe because they are firm and I have no single stretch mark on my bōobs. But some ladies still flaunt flabby ones that have stretch marks. Don’t they know that stretch marks are not meant to be displayed? Some ladies flaunt clèavage that stretch marks have finished and the bōob has gotten back to where it was formed. It’s not worth it. Such a clèavage can’t be sèxy. For instance, I stay in front of my mirror and appreciate myself first before any other person because I dress up in my room before any other person in my house would see me. After dressing up, I look at myself and I’m like wow! If I can be convinced within me that I look good, I know that every other comment would be fine. I think ladies who flaunt the ugly parts of their body should start doing this. Some carry bulky legs and want to walk it on the runway. I’m chubby, my body firm, subtle and smooth. Because I’m bulky, my legs big, I don’t do shorts. I know the rules of fashion. It puts me off when I see some giant, elephantiasis kind of legs and they want to walk and show them off on red carpet. It doesn’t make sense to me.

You hit the limelight in the Yoruba movie Omo Ghetto; were there challenges you encountered in that movie?

Omo Ghetto is huge. Shooting it wasn’t easy. It was a whole lot of hard work. The producer, Funke Akindele, happens to be my good friend and we hang out a lot. When she told me about the idea, I told her it was a good one. She told me my character and I knew it was multi-tasking. One good thing about me is that I’m one that does extra research with regard to roles that are given to me. The role I was given in Omo Ghetto required that I speak slangs. But I didn’t know how to speak slangs and mannerism that goes with it. What I did was to plan for the production and I would sit down and watch boys playing football, their slangs, and their mannerism when they scored. I realised that when they scored, they started raining abuses on themselves even while appreciating the effort. At times, I would go to the market and bargain prices of foodstuff in order to annoy the sellers and watch their reaction so

No comments:

Post a Comment