Friday 26 July 2013

Usain Bolt: 'Drugs scandals have harmed sport but I am clean'

It was Usain Bolt's read my lips moment, when the greatest sportsman of his age told the world it could trust him, insisting: "I know I'm clean".

While conceding that a slew of failed drugs tests in recent weeks – including those of Tyson Gay and Asafa Powell, the second and fourth fastest 100m runners in history – had "set back" the sport, Bolt insisted his own performances were untainted.

"How long have people been following Usain Bolt?" he asked one inquisitor. "If you've been following me since 2002 you would know I've been doing phenomenal things since I was 15.

"I was the youngest person to win the world juniors. I ran the world youth record at 17. I've broken every record there is in every event I've ever done. I've proven myself since I was 15. I was always going to be great."

Bolt's pledge that his 100m and 200m world records and six Olympic gold medals were achieved through nothing but genetics and hard work came during a press conference to promote this weekend's Anniversary Games in London which rapidly morphed into an inquest into drug use in athletics.

Never before has Bolt been pressed so firmly on the issue. Never before has he answered in such breadth or depth. Many sports stars would have become irritated at the constant questioning but Bolt seemed to accept it was his duty, following the positive tests of the American Gay, Powell and four other Jamaican athletes, to respond to the questions thrown his way.

"Definitely, it's going to set us back a little bit, but as a person I can't focus on this," he said. "I am just trying to work hard, run fast and hopefully help people to forget what has happened, and just move on and look forward to the world championships."

He did reveal that he had spoken via BlackBerry messenger to Powell, who has admitted inadvertently taking a supplement which contained the banned amphetamine oxilofrine, to pass on his support for his countryman.

"I had one BB conversation with him, really," he said. "I didn't want to bombard him with questions. I told him, 'Sorry to hear what was going on.' And he said 'Yes, it's kind of rough, it's hard.' I just told him to stay strong and stay focused, and hopefully everything will work out."

Bolt warned the world against rushing to judgment over Powell and his MVP training partner Sherone Simpson, who also tested positive for oxilofrine. "It was surprising, definitely, but there are a lot of details left to be discussed," he said. "I'm just sitting and waiting for the results. There's a lot of things that haven't been said and done yet. So I'm waiting to see what's going on."

But he deftly sidestepped the question of whether he thought accidentally taking a minor stimulant should lead to a ban, adding: "I don't make the rules. I can't determine how harsh they should be. In life things happen, people make mistake, mishaps happen. That's why they have the IAAF [International Association of Athletics Federations], Wada [World Anti-Doping Agency] and all these people sitting and deliberating what they should put in place and what should happen."

However, Bolt insisted he did not have nightmares about accidentally testing positive himself because he "didn't really take supplements" – and said he trusted his team to ensure he avoided any banned product on Wada's list.

"In life you learn to be responsible," he said. "You have to be very careful as an athlete because there are a lot of things on the banned list. You have to keep up to date all the time. That's why you need a team to help you keep up.

"You have to trust the people around you because they check everything you're taking," he added. "They read the fine print, I haven't. Vitamins I take – every athlete takes vitamins. I don't really take supplements."

Bolt, who will race in the 100m at the Olympic Stadium on Friday night, had a final message for the millions who will watch his return to the track where he stormed to a brilliant gold medal during London 2012: "I was made to inspire people and made to run," he promised. "I was given a gift and that's what I do. I am clean."

Jessica Ennis-Hill, meanwhile, is also set to compete in the Anniversary Games on Saturday in the 100m hurdles and long jump after a successful comeback from injury in a low-key meeting at Loughborough on Tuesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment